Special Offers on Books that You Would Want to Read

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Graduates Not Getting Paid Well Enough Deter Job Hunting

Tis all about the money

Source: The Star

Many young people have responded to our columnist’s last article. Due to the lack of space, we have decided to publish only the letter below, but it reflects the sentiments of those who have joined the work force in recent years.

I AM like one of the “young people”, you referred to in your previous article. I am 25-years old and have had four jobs so far.

The first two positions were short-term contracts, the second of which was with a non-governmental organisation (NGO).

The third position was with a training company while the fourth, which has so far been my longest is with a multinational media agency as a media planner.

I am an executive here servicing one of the biggest clients in the beverage industry, but I get peanuts!

I am expected to handle my client and be at their beck and call. My company charges them US$200 (RM611) an hour, while I get between RM10 -15 an hour! Many young people like me are overworked and underpaid.

How does that make me feel? We both know that labour is supposed to cost the company an average 48% of the company’s gross profits, but RM15 or even RM 20 isn’t even close to 48%.

Granted, 48% probably accounts for the whole team’s work ... but does this mean that there is such a vast income gap between upper management and executives?

When you mentioned in your article about talent recruitment/retainment, it is all just talk, don’t you think?

You see, while employers may complain about the standard of graduates these days, let’s get one thing straight — if you pay peanuts, what do you expect?

So, Mr Kam, I really doubt it is just about doing what you like and communicating that to your manager.

I believe it has a lot to do with the miserable salaries we get as entry-level executives.

If any employer wants long-term commitment, please show me the money.

ANGRY YOUNG MAN

Our columnist Paul Kam replies:

“In my last article “Commitment Anxiety” I talked about the things a young employee can do to find his place in the company before he decides to move on. I talked extensively about being noticed for their worth and how to get motivated when the goings get tough.

I must have hit the nail on the head as many readers could relate to most of what I said.

One of them wrote: “I am part of it - young, sometimes frustrated and restless but very motivated to find what’s best fitting to me. I am still on the search.” I believe you need to find out the source of your frustration and take it from there. The fact that you know you are very motivated is a good sign and you may need to find different roles within your company that can help you expend your energy.

This person feels he’s overlooked; “ I am also in the same boat but a victim of unrecognised talent. Jumping from one place to another in search of recognition for my pure hard work.” You should go through my article closely as I have made my recommendations of needing to market yourself. Be noticed, be creative and be communicative about your feelings towards work.

Another reader needs to understand why it’s monkey business; “I am an executive handling one of the biggest clients in the beverage industry but I get peanuts. Truth be told, many young ones are disdainful at the fact that we are overworked and underpaid.” Let me give you another perspective. Most organisations feel they do not know if they are hiring monkeys until the worker proves otherwise. The fact that you are still there should say a lot. Sometimes it serves to work for peanuts for a while and know that the experience will be the gems in your resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment