Special Offers on Books that You Would Want to Read

Monday, April 2, 2012

Working with Internet Giant, Google - Part 1

Thanks to Avinash Kaushik who had the opportunity to work in Google in Silicon Valley and he has written a detailed blogspot on his experiences and the perks of working with the internet business giant. This will be a 4 parts series towards Avinash's experiences with Google. 
It will soon be a year of working at Google and milestones are always a good time for introspection.
I have a lot on my mind but there was one thing in particular that I wanted to share with you all:
What it is has been like working at Google.
Interesting, fun, surprising, insightful, inspiring, impactful, and more such words. This post shares that experience.
I went into Google with my own filters and expectations on what the experience would be like and what I would end up doing.
Looking back the reality has been different in so many ways, even for a jaded Silicon Valley veteran of layoffs and cool companies like myself.
Before I get any further I wanted to mention that I am the Analytics Evangelist for Google. I am a Consultant (a "red badge" as I often remark!). There is little difference between roles and expected outcomes between a full time employee and a consultant – nonetheless there is a very different benefits structure at multiple levels for consultants (as Johnny Law dictates). I also don't have any holdings of Google stock, and, not being a full time employee, I also don't hold any Google options.
Also my experience is positive, there is a small community that seeks sub optimal stuff about Google constantly. You can bounce now because you won't find it here.
With that squared away, ever wonder what makes Google tick?
Here are ten insights from / cool things about / reasons for / delightful surprises from almost a year of working at Google:
# 10: The amazingly fantastic food and impressive digs.# 9: "Micro Efficiencies".# 8: A company that truly cares.# 7: Brain expansion opportunities.# 6: The sheer amount of brilliant Google employees.# 5: Empowerment (The big small company).# 4: The scale of your impact.# 3: Doing Good: Green & .org# 2: It's a happening place. The energy, the vibe, the passion.# 1: The brand.What about the future?
Let me share some of the reasons why I picked the above ten. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment