Special Offers on Books that You Would Want to Read

Monday, April 9, 2012

Working with Internet Giant, Google - Part 4

Google works to develop its employees so that they too can innovate to produce ground-breaking products for the internet giant. It is this empowerment concept that had made Google an attraction for people to work with them. 
# 7: Brain expansion opportunities.
For some reason this one surprised me. I don't know why.
This is not a uncommon sight as you walk into Google buildings. . . .
author at google announcements
On any given day at Google there are brilliant people visiting and giving talks and lectures. Politicians, authors (even niche ones: me!), professors, bright young folks (me, long ago!), environmentalists, journalists, dignitaries, monks, Nobel prize winners, venture capitalists and so on and so forth.

I am astounded at the ability to have access to so many brilliant and leading minds. If I have some time then I can take an hour out, go listen to someone brilliant and stretch my brain on a wide variety of topics.
Check these out:
After a while at any company your mind gets stale, you can't get out except for a conference or such. At Google you have alternatives.
This past year I have learned about microexpressions from Paul Ekman (be careful if you see me intently scanning your face!), saw the light when Barack Obama spoke, realized why John Chambers is so well admired, sat two seats away from Al Gore (the day before he won his Nobel prize!), had lunch with Guy Kawasaki, gave a presentation right after Ian Ayres (!!) and well I could keep going. I am sure you get the point.
At Google I am grateful to have the chance to exercise brain, get a new idea, learn something I otherwise would not have. It is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment